Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chapter 8

General claims
All: the word "all" means that everything is included without any exception. For example, I like all kind of cake. This claim may seem valid but it is not. Maybe there is some kind of cake that I have not yet tried. So I cannot say that I like every cake.
Some: This bring us to the word "some." I can say that I like some cakes. The claim may sound valid. However, it is too vague. What do I mean by "some?" Does some mean 2, 5, or 8? Some just mean that there is at least one, but not all of them. So, the reading of the word "some" is depend on the argument.

Contradictories: "no" and "only"
No: The word "no" is use in the same sense as "all." It means that, there is not even one, every single one of it is a no. For example, no one cry when he or she is happy. This may sound valid, but it is not true. There are people who cry when they are happy. Hint the phase "tears of joy."
Only: The claim that use "only" usually means "all" when it got reverse. "Only S are P" means "all P are S." For example, only bakers open bakery shops. Joy is a baker. So, Joy open a bakery shop. This is not true, just because Joy is a baker does not means that she own a bakery shop. She might be a baker at a hotel or a restaurant.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I liked your explanation on chapter 8. I liked how you talked about general claims in one section then you talked about contradictories in another section. I liked how it was not all bunched up and hard to understand. You made it easy to understand with the way you did it. I also like the examples you gave for each of them. Your post would really help if someone did not understand general claims or contradictory claims. You did a good job in talking about chapter 8. You explained everything that was important. You did not talk about the stuff that was not important. You got straight to the point and I like that when I read post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I really liked how you explained Chapter 8. It was simple to read and straight to the point. I liked how you were able to separate the two ideas and gave examples of each topic. It made it easy to understand. I also enjoyed your examples for “all” and “some” from the general claims. Especially since your talking about cakes! It draws in a lot of readers because it’s fun and delicious. But I can’t say that everyone think cakes are fun and delicious. ☺ Even though I am commenting on your post, I was able to relate to your general claims part by not making assumptions that everyone thinks cakes are delicious. Good job!

    ReplyDelete