Friday, November 12, 2010

Different Types of Reasoning

There are many types of reasoning. They can be reasoning by analogy, sign reasoning, causal reasoning, reasoning by criteria, reasoning by example, inductive reasoning, and deductive reasoning. So here are examples each reasoning methods.

Reasoning by analogy: Pepsi is a dog and Pepsi drink water.
                                  Soda is a dog.
                                  Soda drink water.

Sign reasoning: Mary did not answer her home phone as her phone is ringing, therefore Mary is not home.

Causal reasoning: Students who get A's in the art history courses have good understanding of art and its  history.

Reasoning by criteria: How will I know which book I want to read and will it be interesting? I can read the synopsis and the review for the book.

Reasoning by example: You should study harder. I met a guy who never study and have to repeat the class for 3 times.

Inductive reasoning: Everytime my phone ring, it means that someone is calling me.
                              Next time when someone is calling me, my phone will ring.

Deductive reasoning: All humans need water.
                               James is a human.
                               James needs water.

No comments:

Post a Comment