Saturday, November 13, 2010

Interesting idea about reasoning by analog

The most useful kind of reasoning that I like to use a lot is reasoning by analogy. Like many people in different situation who like to make references and compare things even when they do not realize it themselves. I do compare things often. I think that stereotyping is also one example. Stereotyping might not make a good or strong argument but it can be use as some kind of reason (to certain people). For example, people may think that all dogs like to bark and cause bad odor inside the house. As the result, people always assume that if someone have indoor dogs, the house will smell bad and dirty. This can be a reason by analogy, one dog as a guideline and than compare other dogs to the guideline dogs. However, there can be other situation that reasoning by analogy can be very strong and convincing. I think that each situation is different and it depend on each situation if the reason by analogy will work or not. 

1 comment:

  1. I also thought analogies were interesting. While reading your post, the stereotyping part threw me off but after reading your explanation I was back on track. I thought you meant like stereotyping against people and I could not make the connection. If my dog smells bad my house smells bad. If your dog smells bad your house smells bad. It is making assumptions based on our own experiences, which may not be true to others. I guess you can also say your are being prejudice. Judging a dog and house before you smell them. XD Nice entry and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete